Frequently Asked Questions

1Which areas of Wellington do you service?
We Service all areas of Greater Wellington, the Hutt Valley, and Porirua Basin. For larger jobs we are able to undertake work further afield including in the Wairarapa, Manawatu, and Kapiti Coast areas.
2Are we able to get a Quote?
Certainly, just contact us and we will arrange a quote for you.
3Do we offer advice?
Yes we do - in fact this is one of the things we pride ourselves on - understanding what it is you need, and applying the best solution, drawing on our experience and product knowledge. Give us a call or drop us an email - no question is a silly one - we understand you might not know the best approach and we are keen to show you what we can do for you!
4Do you do emergency call outs after hours?
No we do not - our service is a design, deliver and installation service. We do repairs as well - but we don't do response maintenance (after hours calls).
5Do you service appliances?
No - this requires an Appliance Service Technician - which although electrically focused is a different service base offering. If you search for Appliance Service & Repairs you should find someone.
6What payment methods do you accept?
We accept; Cash, Direct Deposit and all major Credit Cards excluding Amex & Diners
7Do you carry a wide range of stock in your service vehicles?
We carry the common things, but the reality is there are so many different product lines available today that carrying everything is simply impossible. In addition holding stock in a vehicle leads to product deterioration due to the vehicle movement. we do however seek to understand your needs prior to attending to ensure we can bring along materials we might need. we also have access to a delivery service that for larger jobs when utilised avoids us having to leave site. The reality is that from time to time we will need to travel and acquire materials and we do charge for the time we incur on your behalf doing this.
8Are there any electrical repairs you can do yourself at your home?
The answer to this question is yes - you can do your own electrical work & repairs, but you need to be aware of the limitations and regulations. This can be a complex area - for a full list of the electrical repairs you can do on your home, please refer to Regulation 6A of the Electricity Safety Regulations 2010. In the meantime here's an overview: What electrical work can you do? You must own and live in the property to do the following work on low voltage electrical installations when there is no payment or reward: You can remove and replace any of the following kinds of fittings, where the work does not involve work on any switchboard: -switches -socket outlets -permanent connection units -light fittings -batten holders -cord grip lampholders -ceiling roses -flexible cords connected to any permanent connection unit, ceiling rose, or cord grip lampholder -water heater switches -thermostats -elements. -Remove and replace fuse links. -Connect and disconnect fixed wired appliances. -Relocate existing switches, socket outlets, and lighting outlets that are supplied with electricity by tough plastic- sheathed cables. -Install, extend, and alter sub-circuits (including sub-mains), provided that you: must not enter (whether personally, by holding any material or equipment, or otherwise) any enclosure where live active conductors are likely to be present You cannot connect your work to the electricity supply yourself and you must get the finished work tested and connected by a licensed electrical inspector who will verify the safety of the completed work before connecting it. It is advisable to have consulted the inspector prior to starting any installation, extension, or alterations. SafeChoice are able to provide an inspection service.
9What is an RCD (Residual Current Device), and Do I need one?
An RCD or Residual Current Device, is a circuit monitoring safety switch, that works by detecting the difference in electrical current entering and exiting an appliance or circuit. The current detection thresholds are preset at between 10 and 40 mA (milli-amps), which is considered less than the minimum current that can kill a person. If the RCD detects a difference in current this is likely due to a fault to earth (i.e. someone is getting a shock or the appliance is faulty), and the RCD triggers OFF. RCDs are a legal requirement and are usually located on a switchboard but can also be used portably.
10When should I have an electrical safety check on my property or commercial premise carried out?
SafeChoice Electrical recommend that you should have an electrical inspection carried out if: - You are purchasing a property that has been occupied - The property is more that 25 years old - If it is more that 5 years since one has been done - If you are concerned about the condition of the electrical systems or with how any of the equipment may have been installed

Call Free 0508-SAFECHOICE (0508-723324)